Summer BBQ Ideas
Summer is in full swing, Sweeties! It’s the most fabulous time of the year with warm sunshine and family togetherness. A good ol’ country barbeque isn’t often associated with the healthiest meals. During the warm summer months, it’s important to stay well hydrated, add healthy food into your diet, limit added sugar, and make a goal to simply enjoy the outdoors whenever possible.
Well, have no fear because we know how to satisfy your cravings while having a good time and without sacrificing taste or flavor. Next time you plan on throwing a bbq party, try these healthy and low carb recipes to cook up, find the right music to play, and enjoy a refreshing sugar-free sweet iced tea.
We’re sharing all the yummy details with y’all, so gather ‘round the barbeque pit and let’s get to it!
Country Music Songs
Now, y’all know that a summertime bbq can’t be complete without the right country mix playing on your speakers. What’s more exciting than having a good time with friends and family then grilling up some food and jamming to your favorite country tunes?
Feel-good country music and beautiful summertime weather go hand-in-hand with each other. Country music, barbecue, and sweet tea. Count me in, y’all!
We’re excited to share our Spotify Country BBQ Beats playlist with you, so you can host a real good time.
Fire up the grill and turn up the volume!
What pairs well with grilling and your favorite country jams? Come on, y’all, it’s summer! You need to add some southern sweet iced tea to the mix. Adding a refreshing drink to stay hydrated is just what your body needs to enjoy the flavors from the food cookin’ up and quenching your thirst. Drinking tea can help your body stay hydrated because it gives your body more water than it causes your body to lose.
Are you looking for a tasty non-alcoholic drink that’s keto-friendly? Our decaf iced tea is a great option to fit into your keto diet.
Not on a keto diet but looking to limit your sugar intake to feel less fatigued during the summer days? All of our sweet tea cold brews are guilt-free sweetness with the flavors we love but with zero sugar, zero calories, and zero carbs!
Low Carb BBQ
We have delicious summer bbq dishes that are sure to please the crowd! Our low carb grilling recipes kick the buns to the curb, aren’t loaded with sugar, and aren’t as high in sodium with a crazy amount of salt and pepper. Best of all, they taste great and smell like a bbq lover’s dream!
This low carb dish is a healthy spin on a summer favorite. We are loving this recipe by The Girl on Bloor puts together a simple step by step so you are on your way to some gooooood eating! Oh, the best part? This recipe is topped with a summer salsa! Here is the scoop…
- 4 frozen or fresh sockeye salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro basil or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- Preheat BBQ to med-high heat.
- Brush salmon with a little bit of olive oil and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper then put the fish on the grill skin-side down for 10-12 min.
- Meanwhile, mix together the salsa.
- Remove salmon from the grill and add salsa overtop. Serve on its own or with a side dish and enjoy!
Sweet tea paring: Gotta try our deliciously sweet Mango cold brew flavor for this recipe!
Low Carb Side Dishes for BBQ
Who doesn't think of chips and dip, Southern style coleslaw, baked beans, mac and cheese, or pasta salad when you're throwing a bbq? Now don't get us wrong, all of these side dishes taste delicious but they aren't usually healthy. Many times you may come home and feel the weight of the food, making your body tired and not as energetic as you may want.
Below are low carb sides dishes to enjoy during your next shindig.
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Chicken is a barbecue favorite for us here at Southern Breeze Sweet Tea! That’s why we’re lovin’ these Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats, y’all! The Ambitious Kitchen shares a yummy and fulfilling dish that is low- calorie and Sweetie-friendly too. So don’t worry about askin’ for a second helping! Here are the details:
- Olive oil, for greasing pan
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise (look for zucchini that is similar in size)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 pound (about 2 1/2 cups) cooked shredded chicken breast (can also be from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup low sugar bbq sauce, divided (I like Stubb’s Spicy BBQ Sauce), plus more if you like it extra saucy
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Green onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pan with olive oil.
- Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats. (See note section for what to do with leftover zucchini pulp.) Place zucchini in the greased pan; they should snuggle pretty tightly in there, but if you can’t fit them all in, you can use two pans.
- Brush zucchini with a little olive oil (about 1 tablespoon or so). You can also simply spray them with an all natural oil-only cooking spray.
- Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to a medium skillet and place over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl then stir in shredded chicken, 1/2 cup bbq sauce and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon bbq chicken mixture evenly into zucchini boats. Top each with 1 tablespoon bbq sauce (or a little extra if you’d like it more saucy) and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender.
- Once done, sprinkle the tops with cilantro and green onion before serving. Serves 4; 2 boats per person.
Sweet Tea pairing: Go on n’ wash this one down with our zero calorie Half & Half cold brew!
Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
What is a cookout without a delicious side dish? Low Carb Maven shares an easy broccoli salad that is flavorful and oh-so-satisfying! Scoop all the deliciousness onto the plate y’all and enjoy the finer things that sweet summertime has to offer!
- 1 pound broccoli florets about two big heads and stalks cut and trimmed
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1/2 bunch green onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Swerve or powdered erythritol or stevia glycerite to taste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Cook and crumble the bacon.
- Trim and cut broccoli into bit sized pieces.
- Slice the scallions.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Assemble and toss with dressing just before serving. Garnish with your favorite topping. Makes 8 cups with 1 cup per serving
Sweet Tea pairing: Grab a glass of our Original cold brew flavor for the perfect pairing!
Summer is also known for grilling up kabobs. You can mix your favorite meats, vegetables, and even fruit all on a skewer. Some of America's favorite kabobs or foods on a stick are loaded with sugar and other favorite foods on a stick are often battered or deep fried, which doesn't fit the healthier diet we want to set for ourselves.
Looking for some healthy kabobs to grill this summer? Check out our favorite kabob recipes here.