Summer’s rollin’ around the corner! And when the warm weather hits, more and more of us are out and about in sundresses or workout clothes, soaking up the vitamin D and lounging by the pool! It’s pretty natural that when the weather turns hot, lots of us start thinking about how we look! And that always leads to thinkin’ about weight management and healthy eating!
It’s hard to manage weight and that’s a fact. There are so many carbs, calories, and grams of sugar in food nowadays that even if you’re keeping track, it’s STILL super tricky to keep these numbers at low levels! Being from the South, we knew that one of the biggest culprits is the calories from sweet tea.
Traditional sweet tea is made with TONS of sugar, y’all know that’s true. It’s what makes it so delicious! And most of us have been drinkin’ sweet tea since we were kids! But the amount of sugar in sweet tea is waaay more than what we should be having daily. The American Heart Association suggests that women have a daily intake of no more than 25 grams—or 6 teaspoons—of sugar a day. For men, it’s 38 grams, or 9 teaspoons. And if you’re drinking your sugar AND eating sweet treats, that’s double the trouble.
That’s why, when we started our sweet tea company in Marietta, Georgia, we set out to make a zero calorie sweet tea that y’all could drink without worrying about the sugar! We didn’t think it made sense that our delicious and favorite drink also had to be super unhealthy. And that’s how our #GuiltFreeSweetTea, the sugar-free Southern Breeze y’all know and love, was born!
How can YOU add Southern Breeze to your life to make some healthy changes? Well, plenty of studies show that the easiest way to break sugar habits isn’t by cutting back on sugary treats, it’s by replacing ‘em!
Nix the soda!
- We know the weather’s getting warmer but PUT DOWN that ice cold soda! If you’re trying to lose weight, become more fit, or just feel energetic and healthy, y’all are gonna have to say goodbye to sodas. Remember that 25-gram daily sugar limit we mentioned earlier? Some cans of soda have 35 grams of sugar!!! With one can, you’re headed way over your recommended daily sugar intake!
- What about carbonated beverages? These aren’t great, y’all. We know they’re tasty and sometimes you just want an alternative to water that’s a bit more interesting than just…well…water! But carbonation can often leave you feeling bloated, and if you’re on a weight loss journey, this is counterproductive!
- Whenever you have a craving for a can or bottle of soda, reach for the sugar-free sweet tea instead! It’ll quench your thirst just as much and won’t have ANY sugar or calories!
Cut back on sweet, sugary desserts!
Who doesn’t love a slice of apple pie or white cake? You don’t need to cut these entirely from your diet, but definitely cut back! We recommend sticking to desserts that are high in sugar only during special occasions. Try some low-calorie, low-carb “skinny” versions of your favorite recipes. You can even cook and bake WITH sugar-free sweet tea, like our friend Kaylie does with these Raspberry Sweet Tea Breakfast Muffins!
Say no to the sugary juices!
- Did y’all know that one cup of juice typically contains about 23 grams of sugar?! That’s just about your daily sugar intake…with only ONE cup! Next time you’re reaching for a glass of juice to quench your thirst or to get your “fruits” for the day, try snacking on some actual fruit. Fruit contains natural sugars which are still better for you than the sugar in fruit juices, and can help satisfy your sweet tooth! They also have nutrients that will enrich your diet and help you feel healthier and full!
- Still craving something sweet to drink? Place some boxes of sugar-free sweet tea where they’re easy to find and you’ll never reach for the juice again! In fact, if you keep a jug of cool water nearby, all you’ll have to do is pour over a Cold Brew tea bag and you’ve got your thirst-quenching sweet tea right there!
Watch out for hidden sugar!
Even when you’re paying attention to sugar intake, avoiding sodas and juices, and drinking sugar-free sweet tea, there are HIDDEN sources of sugar that you may not even realize! Watch out for these things that often have a lot of sugar, and when you’re at the store, check the ingredient label:
- Pasta sauce
- Crackers (you’d be surprised!!)
- Peanut butter
Drink more water AND more sugar-free sweet tea!
- If you’re on a weight-loss journey, one of the most important things to do is drink more water. It’s SO important – water can help you burn more calories. Staying hydrated also will make you reach for snacks less often, because you won’t feel thirsty—thirst can sometimes feel like hunger and lead to overeating!
- If you’re finding it difficult to drink lots of water, add in some sweet tea! This way, you’ll still be drinking water but you’ll also get a zero-calorie sweet treat. But still make sure to keep up that water intake!
- Check out our friend Kay’s advice on how to incorporate water and sweet tea into your diet!
- When's the BEST time to hydrate? After a workout! Even if y'all don't have time to go to the gym or go for a run, try these easy 5-minute workouts and have a glass of sugar-free sweet tea afterwards!