Sweeties, its that wonderful time of the year where we give thanks, celebrate with family, and prepare some yummy food in the kitchen! We all know that the mighty turkey is always star of the show and the centerpiece of the table. If you are you're looking for a few twist to your Thanksgiving turkey this year, look no further. It’s time to brine!
This year mix it up by brining your turkey Southern Breeze style! Brining is actually similar to marinating and enhances the flavor of the meat and makes the meat oh-so-tender. By using your Southern Breeze tea bags, you can whip up a sweet tea brine in no time! Warning: this recipe may cause your mouth to water. Let’s get to the Southern Breeze Turkey brine recipe!
- 5 gallons of filtered water (make sure turkey is completely covered with water)
- 10 Southern Breeze family sized tea bags( Original Flavor
- 1 whole turkey
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 oranges, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- Half a head of garlic
- Bring the water to boil in a large pot and add the Southern Breeze family size bags into the water.
- Turn off the heat on the stove and steep tea bags for 10 minutes. Add all the ingredients (except for the turkey) & simmer on the stove for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cook completely. Drench the turkey with the cooled brine breast side down, in a clean large pot with ice. Let it soak for at least 12 hours to 24 hours. Flip the turkey halfway through so the turkey gets covered on all sides.
- Remove the turkey from the brine mixture, rinse very well with water, and pat dry.
- Rub the turkey with a small amount of melted butter and season with salt & pepper.
- Stuff a large onion in the turkey.
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Cook the turkey at 275 for about 10 minutes per pound. A 20 pound turkey would need about 3.5 hours or so.
- Turn the heat up to 350 and return the turkey to the oven until the meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees. Baste the turkey often.
- Let the turkey rest for at least 30 minutes before carving and serving.
Doesn’t this sound like a delight y’all! Your dinner guests will be amazed that their turkey dinner will be so succulent with a dash of sweetness! Don’t forget to have room for glasses of Southern Breeze Sweet Tea at your table! Happy Thanksgiving y’all!