Working out is a worthwhile challenge, Sweeties! But it’s only half the battle to get healthy and stay healthy. To be as fit as you can be, you gotta make sure the food on your plate (and the sweet tea in your glass) is good for you!
A lot of us just do exercise because we know we should, then we eat whatever we want. Are you guilty of this? If so, keep reading! Your workout will be SO much more effective if you plan proper post-workout meals.
What’s the recipe for a perfect post-workout meal? Well, you burn a lot of calories during cardio workouts and you actually tear muscle during strength workouts (it's a good thing!). So you need to eat a meal that replenishes nutrients and helps repair and build new muscle! You should try to eat foods that are high in carbs and protein within 45 minutes of working out. Fiber and other nutrients like potassium and calcium are great for building muscle and keeping off weight!
We’re sharing some of OUR favorite post-workout meals with you, below! Pair each meal with a glass of sugar-free sweet tea for the perfect treat after exercising!
1. Grilled Chicken and Veggies
After you've worked so hard, your body needs some protein and carbs! Lean protein from chicken and the nutrients from vegetables are perfect for your post-workout meal.
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 cup tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Chop vegetables and cube chicken.
2. Add veggies and chicken to a sheet pan. Season with olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done.
2. Kale and Sweet Potato Bowl
Sweet potatoes are amazing for post-workout snacks and meals, y’all! They complex carbs, fibers, vitamin C, and potassium and other nutrients. It’s important that you replenish your nutrients after a workout, and any healthy recipe incorporating sweet potato will do. Here’s our favorite recipe, from Cooking Light!
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Olive oil
- 4 cups of chopped
- 1/4 cup of Cotija cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 lime wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine sweet potatoes, olive oil, chili powder, salt, and pepper, and toss.
3. Arrange sweet potato mixture on one side of a baking sheet. Place bell pepper on other side of pan; drizzle with remaining olive oil.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring potatoes once halfway through. Remove pan from oven. Cut bell pepper into strips.
5. Divide quinoa among 4 bowls; top evenly with kale, sweet potatoes, and bell pepper. Drizzle with remaining ingredients and toss with Cotija cheese and avocado.
3. Greek Yogurt Fruit Bowl
If you’re a fan of working out in the mornings, this post-workout breakfast bowl is PERFECT and so simple to make. All you need is fat-free Greek yogurt, oats or granola, and your slices of your favorite fruit. Not only is this a sweet, healthy, and delicious treat, but the Greek yogurt is high in protein and calcium, which help with muscle repair! Keep these items handy in your fridge as a meal or snack after every workout.
4. Tuna on Whole Wheat
Together, tuna and whole wheat is a perfect combination of protein and carbs and an easy and quick snack or meal after exercising!
4 ounces of water-packed tuna
2 slices whole wheat bread
Drizzle a little lemon juice and olive oil on the tuna, then make a sandwich using the whole wheat bread.
5. Cottage Cheese and Fruit
Like the yogurt bowl, a bowl of cottage cheese and fruit is protein-rich, high in calcium, and delicious! The protein and calcium are important for muscle repair. Fair warning…this is so tasty, you might end up thinking it’s dessert!
COMMENT below - do you have a go-to meal that you love having after a workout? Share it with us!