We’re sooo excited today, y’all because today we’re chatting all about pie! Pie is a Southern Holiday staple at the table. Slice after slice, pie feeds the belly and the soul. But, y’all, what about all that sugar and carbs that are baked in the slice of heaven? It’s true! Pie is loaded with filling…literally!
Leave it to us at Southern Breeze to share with you a lower sugar pie that ya can make by using our Southern Breeze tea bags. YUM! Let’s get to our Low Sugar Sweet Tea Pie recipe!
- 6 oz softened, low fat cream cheese
- 2 cups softened and divided unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup cooled Original Southern Breeze Sweet Tea
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered stevia (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust: In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup butter until well combined. Add 2 1/2 cup flour and mix until the dough forms a ball. Pat the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Chill until ready to use.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter and sugar at medium speed until light. Add the yolks 1 at a time, beating at low speed untilblended. Add the sweet tea slowly. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the 2 tablespoons flour, cornmeal, and salt and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
- Add the lattice pie crust (Optional) See steps below!
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, and then chill for 2 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle powered stevia on the pie if you wish and enjoy!
Directions for the lattice pie crust:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie crust into a 13-inch circle. Cut the circle into 3/4-inch ribbons.Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Lay five ribbons over the filled pie parallel to each other and spaced evenly. Use the longer ribbons in the middle and shorter ones on the edges of the pie.
- Place the pie in front of you with dough ribbons facing away. Fold back the second and fourth ribbons towards you then lay a shorter ribbon of dough perpendicular to other dough strips.
- Unfold second and fourth dough ribbon over the new ribbon.
- Fold back the first, third and fifth ribbons towards you then lay another ribbon across the pie. Unfold the first, third and fifth ribbon over the new ribbon.
- Repeat 3 through 6 until pie is completely covered with a lattice crust.
- Trim any ribbons hanging over the pie crust. Use scissors.
- Fold edges with your fingers all around the pie to create a thicker pie crust.
- Go on and put the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before baking.
Sweeties, we hope that your holidays are full of love, cheer, family fun, and a slice of low sugar pie! Happy Thanksgiving!